Identity card and passport

You need to carry your Belgian identity card with you each time you travel abroad. Your identity card allows you to freely travel to approximately 50 different countries. For other countries, an international passport is required. You can apply for it at your city hall. The passport itself is valid up to 7 years. If you want to check whether you need an international passport or not, you can consult this website or contact one of our travel agents.


Children under the age of 12 who travel abroad need to be in possession of a Kids-ID. The application for a Kids-ID should be done at the municipal administration. The delivery time is approximately 3 weeks. For destinations that require an international passport, children need to be in possession of their own international passport as well. A Kids-ID does not suffice in such cases. For more information about the Kids-ID, click here.


For some destinations, you need a visa in addition to a valid international passport. To check whether you need a visa or not, please visit CIBTvisas. Some countries work with an electronic approval system instead of a traditional visa. If you are travelling to the United States, Canada or New Zealand, you need to apply for a so-called ‘Travel Authorisation’ online.

Travelling with kids

Are you travelling alone with your children or are you taking a friend? Children under the age of 18 travelling alone or with one of both parents must be in possession of a legitimate admission from the non-accompanying parent. Moreover, in some countries, such as South Africa, the adult(s) accompanying a minor need(s) to be in possession of the child’s birth certificate. Inform yourself sufficiently before departure.